Tired driving is harmful to others and to oneself. A survey in the United States shows that all kinds of traffic accidents caused by insomnia or fatigue account for 41% - 54% of the total traffic accidents, and increase the risk of traffic accident death by five times. Here's how to get rid of sleepiness when driving.
Why driving makes you sleepy
The fatigue of drivers is mainly the fatigue of nerves and sensory organs, mainly because of the fatigue of limbs caused by long-term holding of fixed posture and poor blood circulation. The driver sits on the fixed seat for a long time, the range of action is limited, the attention is highly concentrated, he is busy judging the information outside the car, and his mental state is highly tense, resulting in driving fatigue such as blurred eyes, backache, slow response and inflexible driving.
In summer, the situation is more obvious. In summer, the temperature is high, the temperature in the car is also high, the air circulation is slow, especially in the afternoon, when the human body is very easy to make sleepiness. At this time, if driving on a single high-speed road environment, such environment will produce high-speed hypnosis effect, which will aggravate the driver's sleepiness.
The following matters are also conditions that aggravate the driver's sleepiness when driving:
1. Sleep quality: insomnia or too late to go to bed, poor sleep quality or drowsiness.
2. Environment: heavy mental burden, social pressure, long entertainment time and other reasons will lead to distracted driving.
3. Operating conditions: drive the vehicle for a long time and a long distance, and keep the speed constant for a long time.
4. Driving technology: novice driving safety awareness is poor easy to doze off, the old will blind self-confidence lead to inattention.
How to drive away sleepiness
1. Avoid high-risk driving time. Early morning and 3-4 p.m. are the most sleepy time for the human body. It's easy to have a car accident due to dozing and mental wandering. It's better to avoid driving in this period.
2. Stop for a nap. If you drive a long distance, stop at a safe place and take a nap. During the day control in half an hour, can sleep at night for 1.5 hours to clear your mind.
3. Use light to drive out sleepiness. Light helps regulate the biological clock, inhibit the secretion of melatonin and reduce sleepiness. Therefore, if you drive at night, you might as well stop in the middle of the road, go to a small shop or supermarket to buy something, and use the light there to drive off sleepiness.
4. Reduce the temperature in the vehicle. If the car is too warm and comfortable, it will increase sleepiness. In summer, you can use the air conditioner in the car to lower the temperature. In winter, you may as well open a window to blow cold air.
5. Wash your face in cold water. Before driving, you can wash your face with cold water to stimulate the sympathetic nerves and clear your mind.
6. Chewing gum. Doing rhythmic activities, such as chewing gum, singing, etc., can stimulate the brain to secrete serotonin, and make the brain clear and calm. Therefore, when driving, you may as well chew a piece of gum, or listen to some music you like, but you'd better not listen to music with too slow or intense rhythm to prevent traffic accidents.
7. Have a cup of coffee half an hour before driving. Caffeine can stimulate the brain and keep you awake and refreshed, but it takes 15-30 minutes to take effect after drinking. Therefore, you can drink a cup of coffee or green tea as you like half an hour before driving.
8. Have some dessert. Glucose is the only source of nutrition for the brain. Before driving, you can eat some cakes or sweets, quickly improve the blood sugar value, supplement nutrition for the brain, and keep awake.
9. Smell and refresh yourself. The aroma of rosemary, mint and eucalyptus is refreshing. Before driving, drop a few drops of this kind of plant essential oil in the car to help keep your mind clear.
10. Massage acupoints. Stimulating related acupoints can also clear the mind and drive off sleepiness. There are zhongchong (middle finger tip Center), Hegu (hukou) in the hand, Fengfu (neck center, hair line 1 inch), Baihui (the intersection of the middle line of the head and the two ear tips), and Yinbai (inside the big toe, 0.1 inch from the toenail angle) in the head. Take one or two acupoints and massage for a few minutes before driving.