Snoring is a very common thing in daily life, many people have experienced their own snoring, or family snoring. Some people say that snoring is a normal physiological phenomenon because of sleeping well. Others say that snoring is the exclusive standard for middle-aged men. But is all this true? Let's take a look at the rumors about snoring with 360 common sense.
1. Snore because you sleep well?
Snoring is not sleeping soundly, but sleeping soundly! Snoring is also known as sleep apnea syndrome, because people will not only snore during sleep, more serious also accompanied by the phenomenon of apnea. When the loudness of the patient increases more than 60 decibels after sleeping, it is snoring; when the air flow stops for more than 10s, it is judged as a sleep apnea; when more than 5 times of sleep apnea occur in one hour of sleep, or about 30 times of sleep apnea occur in seven hours of sleep, it is judged as sleep apnea syndrome.
2. Is snoring a normal physiological phenomenon?
Snoring means that the airway is partially constricted or blocked. Snoring is due to the relaxation of muscles related to respiration during sleep, especially the relaxation of the tongue muscles, which causes slight drooping of the tongue root to the back, resulting in airway obstruction. When the air passes through the oropharynx, it causes vibration of the soft palate and uvula, thus snoring.
3. Snoring is the exclusive standard for middle-aged men?
For "snoring is the exclusive standard for middle-aged and old men to be fat", there is a certain bias. Snoring can occur at any age, regardless of gender, regardless of age. It's just that obesity is more likely to snore than normal weight people. This is because the volume of soft tissue (fat) in the neck of obese patients increases, resulting in airway stenosis, and the airway is more likely to be blocked during sleep. Sometimes, the newborn baby will snore. Of course, if baby or children have snoring symptoms, mothers must pay more attention, because snoring may cause children's slow growth and mental retardation.
Sleep medicine research found that where the body is fat, the neck is short and thick, the soft palate is longer, the uvula is drooping, and the tongue muscle is thick People who snore easily. In short, people with smaller left and right pharyngeal cavity diameters and anterior and posterior pharyngeal cavity diameters are more likely to snore. When people are overworked or drink alcohol, their lower jaw is easier to relax and snore.
4. Is the harm of snoring just hypoxia?
The first manifestation of snoring is hypoxia. If the sleep time of 7 hours per night is calculated, the sleep apnea syndrome population is in the state of anaerobic respiration for about 300-400 seconds per night (although the chest and abdomen breathing exercise still exists, but there is no real air intake), it is more likely to have cerebrovascular accidents.
Sleepiness is more common during the day. As the night can not get a good rest, snorers sometimes go to sleep unconsciously in conversation, watching TV, driving and other occasions.
When serious, it may cause cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases or even sudden death. Snoring may cause a variety of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases and even sudden death due to the influence of hypoxia on cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. It has been reported that the nighttime mortality rate of people who snore more than 15 times per hour with apnea is increased. The mortality rate of people who snore without treatment is 11% - 13% in 5 years and 37% in 8 years.
Reduced sexual function. Male experts pointed out that snoring at night due to repeated hypoxia, resulting in a lack of adequate nutrition and oxygen penis, cavernous damage and affect erectile function. At the same time, the level of testosterone in the blood to maintain the male sexual desire, secondary sexual sign and erectile function decreased, resulting in the lack of sexual desire.
Affect family and roommates. According to some data, 72.5% of wives sleep less than 1-2h every night because of their husband's snoring, or 30.6% of wives wake up from snoring, 9.7% of wives suffer from neurasthenia due to their husband's snoring, and there are also many cases of discord in dormitory relationship due to snoring.
5. The secret of not snoring?
Choose a pillow of the right height. Too high pillows are more likely to cause airway folding, airway narrowing, and snoring. So choose a pillow with a moderate height and a bit harder to relieve snoring effectively.
Lying on your side is also a good way. Supine because of the effect of gravity is easier to let the root of the tongue droop, resulting in narrow airway. Side lying can effectively control simple snoring, and the effect is good. If family members or roommates snore, try to help them move their posture.
7 suggestions to abandon the "habit" of snoring
1. Lose weight first. Fat people snore three times as much as thin people.
2. Abstain from alcohol and smoking. Alcohol has an anesthetic effect, can cause muscle relaxation, leading to snoring like thunder. Habitual snorers should not drink alcohol before going to bed, especially alcohol. And the poison in the smoke stimulates the respiratory tract, causes the respiratory tract to swell, causes the airway to be blocked.
3. If snoring is serious, the mattress should not be too soft. It is better to sleep in a hard plank bed.
4. The pillow should not be too high, and the thickness should be one side shoulder width.
5. Habitual snorers can sew a small pocket on the back of pajamas. When they fall asleep, they can put a tennis ball or a small ball in it, so as to avoid lying on their back and falling asleep, thus effectively preventing snoring.
6. Before going to bed, take 3 pieces of 9 cm long green onion and put them in your mouth to chew raw.
7. Some drugs, such as sleeping pills and antihistamines, can relax muscles and should be avoided as much as possible.